Applying Contact Cement by Spray

Low-solvent spray canister contact cement sometimes creates telegraphing of spray overlap areas.August 15, 2011

Question
We have used Wilsonart spray applied contact for years and now we are starting to change to a self-contained canister glue called Permagrip. We are trying it out and another worker used it to lay up a 4X8 sheet of laminate and I have used it on a small 25X30 countertop, rolling both of them by hand. We have noticed that we can see and feel the overlap lines of the cement under the laminate (like stripes or ribs). Is this normal for this type of contact cement, or is there a secret technique to putting it on?

(Laminate and Solid Surface Forum)
We sometimes get the lines you are referring to. You really have to watch your overlap and make sure it is even. On panels and tops that go through the pinch roller, it is never an issue. We really don't see that it is very noticeable except on gloss or foil.

I believe it is because the canister glue has more solids than the old contact in a barrel. With contact in the barrel, you have a solvent (or water) that acts as a carrier to get the glue through the gun to the surface. With a canister you have all glue, no solvent carrier to flash off. You have to watch your spray pattern closely. We found there is a definite learning curve.

I've used Permagrip for 9 years. I use the natural color in the 38 lb propane looking canister. I think it sticks better than anything, based on the experience I've had trying to remove laminate that I've stuck on misaligned. Oops. I advise you to spray the laminate lengthwise and the core widthwise so when they bond, the glue crisscrosses, creating millions of tiny vacuum pockets. As always, two light coats are better than one heavy one. I haven't noticed any glue telegraph before, though. I worked for a company that sprayed it almost invisibly thin on some laminated windowsills. The sills on the whole south side of the building delaminated. Use white glue and a press for sunny or hot areas of glue.