Attaching a Mirror to a Plastic Laminate Door

Suggestions for adhesives and construction when mounting a mirror on a p-lam cabinet door. August 29, 2014

I have a customer who wants a medicine cabinet made out of plastic laminate and a mirror on the door. I see that Liquid Nails has a product specifically for attaching mirrors. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using it with plastic laminate. Even if this adhesive is great, I still think there should be some type of mechanical fastening for liability issues.

From Contributor W

Leave some areas behind the material as raw substrate - only the p-lam is what needs to be seen. Even drill a few holes in it for the adhesive to squeeze into and harden.

Contributor W is correct. Have areas with no laminate for the adhesive. Use a mirror specific adhesive - other caulks and adhesives will breakdown the mirror silver.

From Contributor W

If you have a CNC or a template and can inlay the mirror it is really cool and trouble free when using adhesives.

My concern is that the mirror doesn't fall off. These are going in college dorm rooms, which will probably a significant amount of abuse.

From Contributor W

If they are in a dorm then a glass company should put them in a replaceable metal frame.

The glass will break before the liquid nails gives up. While I agree that a frame would work as Contributor J suggested, in a dorm environment it just looks like potential repeat business.

I did just this twenty some years ago. We went back a couple of weeks ago to make new cabinets for a new bath and they want the same door. I don't like it but it has lasted this long so I guess I can make a new one. The local glass company glued the mirror on the door and I will have them do it again.