Attaching a Newel Post to Concrete

Tips and techniques for setting a newel post in an existing concrete slab floor. August 7, 2006

Question
A customer wants a short stairway from garage to main house. Basic stair construction is no problem. The question is this: Is there a better (either stronger or more elegant) way to attach the newel post to the existing garage slab than to set it into a flange and use tapcons? I could then mask that whole thing with some molding, but am hoping for a better idea.

Sure-tite post fastener will work. Drill larger hole in concrete and set bolt in hydraulic cement.

Use threaded rod and epoxy. There are many brands and associated guns (Epcon, Hilti, etc.) Drill a hole 1/8" bigger than threaded rod, pump full of epoxy, and twist in rod. Make sure rod is plumb and attach like a Sure-Tite.

Thank you. Looks easy enough. I just didn't know what sort of hardware there was for the job. Your answers led me to the solution for another customer's stair problem, as well (best way to re-attach banister that somebody removed when refinishing this customer's floors).

Simpson Strongtie sells acrylic glue (higher strength adhesive than epoxy) in a special caulking tube. It's made for your situation. They probably sell extra corrosion resistant threaded rod and the mounting hardware. They sell all this stuff at your local Homie Dopie in the floor joist hanger section.

Thanks. I'll check this out as well. (Even if that means actually going to the big orange box instead of the local hardware store, where people actually know not only what they have in stock (and which aisle it's in), but also how to use it.) Fortunately, I can't get to this stair repair job for another 10 days, so I have time to check these things out. I really appreciate the suggestions. I'm anxious to get my current kitchen remodel done and this stair job so that I can sink my teeth into about 6 weeks of outdoor, New England autumn work on a 250 year-old house owned by very nice people. That is why I do this job.