Attaching a Tabletop with a Wide Overhang

As an alternative to support brackets, pros suggest a stiff plywood subtop. April 4, 2011

Question
I am installing a 1 1/2" thick laminated tabletop that will have a 14" - 15" overhang. Do I need supports for the overhang? I was planning to use 90 degree angle brackets dadoed in the bases to attach the top. The bases will be attached to the floor.

Here are the angle brackets.

Anything beyond 12", yes.

Instead of the brackets, add a sub top which is 3/4" thick. Screw it down to the base and attach top from underneath. Spreads the weight and attaches it all together.

Would I still need supports for the overhang?

Nope. We install pass-throughs and lots of tops this way.
Good design!

I agree with contributor J: no brackets needed. But I would use some good stiff plywood such as Baltic birch for the subtop.

If you plan on going with more than a 16" overhang, you would need some additional supports. As it's only 14-15", it is fine. Other post right on with sub top.