Automotive Paint on Wood?

Two who have tried it say it works beautifully. July 8, 2005

Question
I have a customer requesting an automotive paint to be put on a wooden bathroom vanity – it’s going to be in a steam room/ bathroom where there will be high temperatures and moisture content. Can anyone give me some advice if this paint type will be stable?

I would suggest using epoxy paint.

I've used automotive clear coat for years on wood and have never had a problem. The stuff costs a fortune and the only gloss easily available is super glossy, but if that's not an issue then there is no better coating system in the world. I use Rubber-Seal RS-6000 Euroclear, but any major brand is likely to do well. Full polished acrylic urethane (automotive clear coat) looks better on wood than any other coating I've ever used.

I recently did a natural cherry/maple table top for a yacht using auto clears for the first time. It is positively the clearest, best looking finish that has ever left my shop.