Bag Liners for Pressure Pots

Tip: You can line a pressure pot with a plastic trash bag. March 26, 2012

Question
I thought I'd post this and I know some will make fun of me because of it but some may want to try it. Several years ago I used to use pressure pot liners which cost me about $3.50 to $4 dollars each and I complained to my rep about the cost and he agreed that it was too much and it probably cost a dime to make them.

I rebelled and sprayed out of gallon cans and other different containers that would fit in the pot. The only problem was is that it made a mess in the pot. I recently got an idea, and I ordered a couple of the liners and managed to clean the pots up and put the liners in. I bought a box of Glad trash bags, the four gallon ones which fit the 2.5 pot perfect and use them as a liner for the material. The bag is big enough to put in the pot and lip over the top same as if it were in a trash can. At the end of the day just lift the bag out and the pot is clean. The best part of all is 30 bags cost about $3.75. You can also use lac thinner in them to clean with.

Why do you go through so many liners? I bought a case of Binks liners years ago and am still on my second one. I would think just stirring the material would rip the bag.

If you use CV you will go through them plenty of them.

Do you mean that you put the trash bag in first then use the gallon paint can inside that? I agree conversion varnish is no joke for cleanup. It will also melt aluminum! Let that stuff set up in your gun and you will need a lightning rod and a good old Texas thunderstorm to get it clean again.

I don't use the cans anymore at all, that was what I was doing before I started using the bags. Once I got the pot cleaned up I put an actual Binks liner in just in case I got a pin hole in the bag. I put the bag in the pot and the CV right into the bag and its ready to spray. When I'm ready to clean up I take that bag out and put another clean one in and put my thinner can/jug into the new liner and clean the gun and hoses.