Bandsaw Tire Refurbishing Cost

New tires for an old bandsaw ain't cheap. May 13, 2005

Question
I have just acquired a 36" Tannewitz GH bandsaw from 1973. I want to true/balance the wheels and add new rubber. I have gotten prices as high as $950 from Memphis Machinery, and $800 from Tannewitz direct. This seems crazy... Any solutions?

From Dave Rankin, forum technical advisor:
Depending upon the company that repairs the rubber for you, this price seems about right. The size of the wheel and the molds that have to be made contribute to the cost. Most rubber or urethane companies will have to make the mold for this pour. If you can find someone that already has the mold or if you could make the mold, then the price should be much less.

We (Wood Tech Enterprises) have recovered and balanced a number of bandsaw wheels. I think we should be able to recover your wheels for under $500 plus the shipping charges if the diameter of your core is in the 36" range. There is a fair amount of machining in order to get the crown of the wheel to track the blades correctly. Tannewitz also has models that take replacement tires that use a special Loctite to adhere them. I'd need to know the core diameter and the width of the tire in order to provide a dead nuts quote.

I just looked up the last Tannewitz tire we (Sutton Woodworking Machine Co.) mounted. For one wheel, $180.00 including a new tire from Tannewitz, balanced and glue. We don't flat rate. We charge by the hour, so it could run a little under or over depending on the condition of the wheel. We have done hundreds of them and all I get from this thread is that we have thrown away hundreds of dollars by not charging enough! At any rate, I judge that you are in west TN. By the time you pay freight to our shop and the return freight, you might as well get them done by Memphis. However, we would be glad to do them for you. So a set should run something close to $400, depending upon the condition. I think I need to look at my pricing, but for now I will stick with the way I have been doing it.

I spoke a little bit too quick on that last post. The price I mentioned earlier was for a glue on. The last Tannewitz tire we purchased, shortly before they had a price increase, was a quick lock, which cost us $330. But that tire mounts really quick and easy, so there is very little labor involved. So the price will vary quite a bit depending upon the wheel and tire.