Best Finish for Bar Top?

Finishers discuss the options for a bar top, considering durability and the ability to apply on site. February 15, 2009

Question
What would you suggest for finishing a bar top?

Do a search on this site for bartop finishes - it has been discussed a lot. 2K urethane seems to be best choice.

I’ve seen quite a few bar tops that had a piece of glass sitting atop the finished wood. If you go the glass route the wood top could be finished with a Conversion Varnish or a 2K Poly. You can’t beat the hardness of a 1/4' piece of tempered glass.

Conversion varnish is a poor choice for a bar top. The film thickness is minimal regardless of the durability. 2K urethane is the best. Some people like epoxy (System 3 Mirror Coat). I've seen a few bar tops maintained with yearly coats of Waterlox.

Are you doing this bar top for a client? If so what look does the client want? Open coat, closed coat, gloss, satin, flat, waxed, polished? Also what species of wood are we talking about?

We do use Post Cat Varnish and 2K Poly but for this job we have to brush on the finish because we can't remove the top. It is a red oak with mahogany bullnose and we’re looking for a satin low fill finish. We've considered using brush-on poly for floors. Any ideas for brush-on finish for bar tops for be appreciated?

I would use Bona Traffic.

Have you considered the pour-on finish? I have used this stuff on two large bartops in two different beer joints. It is a little pricey. It is the equivalent of 50 coats of varnish. It looks great on a rough form piece of lumber. If your customer wants a deep gloss it will work well for you. If they want a satin, I would finish with one coat of vinyl sealer and several coats of precat lacquer, followed by a pumice rub.

Epifanes or Awlgrip linear polyurethane boat varnish if you have to brush. If it can stand up to saltwater it can handle a bar.

Epiphanes looks good on boats, but it’s just varnish and not too durable. The Awlgrip is a 3K product which is quite durable. You can brush 2k with the correct reducer.

Epiphanes makes several products that would work well. Their PP varnish is a catalyzed varnish that is incredible and I believe the linear polyurethane (2K) is brushable also. I just thought for inside someone’s home a WB coating would be a good idea and the Bona product is a two part finish and hard as a rock.