Black Walnut Sapwood and Heartwood

A few striking examples of the color contrast between Walnut heartwood and sapwood. August 8, 2008

Question
Has anybody used black walnut sapwood for any projects? I have a fair amount of it and was thinking of using it for wainscoting and trim. What are the pros and cons?

Everyone has. At the commercial places they steam walnut so the sapwood turns brown like the rest. I have used all white boards in the past and they work the same as the ones with brown. My problem is I cannot get the same amount of white down each side of the board.

That is a terrible problem. Feel free to send all the boards that end up like that to me.

Here are a couple of bowls I recently turned from a book matched crotch section of black walnut. Customers like the contrast between the sapwood and heartwood.

To contributor J: Beautiful bowls. How did you dry them?

They are rough turned and they are currently air drying. In a few months they will be down to 10-12% mc and I will finish turn them. Walnut is very forgiving in the drying process.

I green turn bowls and use the shrinkage calculator on this site to figure out how thick to leave the bowls so that there is enough material to turn a round bowl out of the rough blank once it is dry.

I kept having the same problems as Contributor A, then I found out I was sawing the wrong end of the tree. What a dummy, I was sawing the stump ;)

I had a friend who had a vat of the mixture mentioned above. I used it on a couple of pieces and it stained them and ruined the natural color of the wood. Your mileage may vary.