Blind Corner Frameless Cabinet Construction

Cabinetmakers offer ideas for frameless cabs in blind corners. December 14, 2005

Question
I am converting to frameless construction as much as possible. I am using what seems to be the most common method of making a blind corner upper or base by attaching a panel on the blind side and attaching the door to it. Does anyone have a better way to do it? I am trying to find a way I can make the cabinet without having to use my exterior material during construction. Would like to make the box with all melamine and attach the outside filler later (cherry oak or whatever). Any better unique methods out there?

That can work if you hinge the door to the other side and inset the melamine panel between the top and bottom of the case so that your finished part attaches flush with the door thickness. I avoid blind corners and use a lazy susan instead because it makes corner transition easier, in my opinion. I use a 45 degree cross corner upper and a pie notched bottom cabinet.

Same as above. I guess you could apply a 3/4" thick panel to butt the other corner into, at installation.

We are a BLUM shop, so we use their blind corner hinge. It affixes to your blind panel. We often have solid wood as an inside corner and make this piece about 4" wide with the idea of only 1 1/2 of it being visible upon final install. This 4" piece is left loose so the finish shop only has to deal with this small part. It gets affixed to the closure panel via pocket screws and biscuits. As an aside, all of our doors are 7/8 thick, so the aforementioned solid wood part is 1" thick to account for an 1/8 bumper behind. The hinge works very well.