Bonding Stainless Steel to Plywood

Advice on fabricating a stainless-steel-on-plywood tabletop. June 28, 2007

Question
I'm building a conference table for an architect: a stainless steel top glued flush to a double 3/4" layer of appleply, the ply edges showing for a high tech look. Contact cement means the steel has to go down perfectly - any other ideas? If I cut the ply a little large, I can sand the edges back to the steel. Any better suggestions?

I would try a smaller piece of steel on wood to make sure it will hold properly. If it does, cutting the plywood large to begin with is a good idea. Then trim it close with a saw. Then use a trim router bit to do the final finish. If you don't have one the full length of the ply, then use a pattern router bit on the steel side, then turn the tabletop over and use a flush trim in the previous cut. You could also use a router bushing to trim away from the steel and 45 the edge with a bearing piloted bit in the trim cut. The cuts would have to be real close, but may give even a better appearance.

Whatever you use for glue, consider balancing this sandwich with a sheet of cheaper sheet metal on the underside. That should make one nice flat plate.

I have used pl premium on many different things including glass to stainless steel, frozen lumber and many others. Try a test piece out yourself - has great holding power. I would suggest using a fine notched trowel and not too much glue towards the final edge. Glue has a fair open time and cleans off easily when wet with thinners. I have used it on a steel top bench for a bearing distributor - been on 5 years and ain't gonna let go any time soon!

You might look into using a thin layer of thinset adhesive used for attaching metallic tiles. This should allow some tweaking of the final position.