Breaking Down Big Logs

An interesting discussion with informative videos about cutting down enormous logs to a manageable size for sawing on a bandsaw mill. April 18, 2015

Question (WOODWEB Member)

Click to View Member Profile Project Gallery Categories

I put a video together showing how I go about preparing logs that will not fit on my sawmill. I know many that look here are experts and know this stuff but perhaps there are some newer folks that may enjoy them.

If you are seeing this message, your version of flash needs to be upgraded to view this video.
Click here to get the latest version of the Flash player.

I also have to split some logs down to fit. I split one oak into six sections and still barely fit and I can get a 36" log with 28" between guides at this time (fixing to modify for 32") Hud-son Farmboss 36.

Impressive indeed - thanks. I recall when I was in Brazil on the Amazon, the mill had a large log and so they used blasting caps to bust it into several pieces. But one large log they put into the large band mill without busting it. They did ok until they had to turn the log. The log turner on the carriage couldn't get it turned, so they struggled and the log came off the carriage. They hooked up some chains to the roof rafters to help get the log back on the carriage, but when they were lifting, the rafters broke! Took them four hours to get it back on the carriage, using blasting caps in the mill to break the log apart. Beautiful, clear pieces of lumber, eventually.

From Contributor Y

Click to View Member Profile Member Photo Member Contact Info Forum Posts

It is always good to see how others tackle a problem like that. Those little portable sawmills can do a lot more than people give credit for!

From Gary Katz, forum technical advisor::
Thanks so much for sharing. I've always wondered how portable mills cut big logs. Seems like no matter what direction you turn, someone somewhere has to know how to do something 'by hand and by eye'.

From Contributor D

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info

Ditto to all the comments - thanks. I also have a log down that's bigger than my mill and seeing the video helps a lot - especially the use of the level.