Breaking Edges on Shaker Doors

Easing the edge on a door panel improves finish performance. January 3, 2014

After a shaker door comes out of the machine with a square edge, is it required to then further break the edge by hand? Is that a standard practice? Or are the somewhat very square edges acceptable if that is the edge detail requested? I hope I am asking this question correctly. My PM always requires that the guys break the edges on our shaker doors once we receive them from our supplier. This is a time consuming step that I'm wondering is necessary. Any help would be appreciated.

From contributor X:
I break all sharp edges, wherever an edge could be touched (doors, faceframes, trim and etc.),otherwise the finish will wear off on that edge. Plus it feels bad when the edges are sharp.

I always just slightly break the edges on mine with 120 grit hand sanding. I think it feels a lot nicer, and the sharp corners can be problematic when finishing.

From Contributor E

Click to View Member Profile Categories

I've been told that if you look at a square edge with a large magnifier (not sure what magnification would be required) you will see the finish has pulled away from the edge. That is why you notice the wear of the finish there first. That is a good reason, besides the sharpness of the edge, to break the edge before finishing to alleviate the early wear of the finish.

I break all edges using a 1/16" (Shaker, or 3/32") round-over bit in an offset base trim router.

From Contributor G

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info

I use the Fastbreak from Fastcap. It does a great job.

Break all sharp edges. The surface tension in the finish causes it to pull back from them. That and they are less subject to dings when eased.

Does your supplier offer an outside edge detail of 1/16"? It's worth asking the question, as I know that my supplier does.