Changing out Air Caps, Needles, and Nozzles on HVLP Sprayers

      Usually all three parts are swapped out at once, but sometimes it makes sense to mix and match. August 8, 2008

I'm new to HVLP and just purchased a Finex that came with a setup already in it and I purchased two more. When changing out, do I swap all three pieces - cap, nozzle and needle?

Forum Responses
(Finishing Forum)
From contributor A:
The needle and the nozzle need to be swapped out together. The cap that comes with the set should be pretty good for what it was designed for. But if you are using different paints of thicker viscosities you may need to swap out the cap. With my HVLP I usually use the next cap up. If I am using a 1.7 needle/nozzle setup I will use the 1.9 cap. My clears run thicker than what was designed for the gun, so I need to have a bit more air for better atomization.

From the original questioner:
I will keep the 3 piece sets together and swap them out as needed. I appreciate the help.

From contributor B:
Your air cap will affect the spray pattern and flow levels. It allows you to get some in between spray/flows that you might not get when switching out a whole set. For most users those are pretty finely differentiated though and not overly useful. The air cap crossovers do become useful when you need a bit more flow for a large panel when you are in the midst of spraying a cabinet set. By switching to a larger air cap and increasing your material flow setting you can spray faster on the panel and switch back quite quickly.

For some specialty purposes I also use different air caps. For example, when I do spattering I will use a very large air cap with very low pressures and thicker paint with a medium sized needle. I actually ordered a special air cap for this purpose, one that is at the large end of my gunmaker's line.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing: General Wood Finishing

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2017 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article