Choosing a Slider Blade

Advice on blade choices for a sliding table saw. March 27, 2012

I'm about to take possession of a slider (never had one before), and want to buy a high quality blade for plywood and MDF/particle composites, most with veneer two sides. I have a scoring saw on this machine but still value minimal veneer chip-out on the bottom of the cut when the scorer is not up. I have a 30mm arbor on the main blade and can take up to a 16" blade I think, though for plywood I'd probably prefer to keep it to 12" or 14" at most. What are the best blades out there for plywood on sliders? I would mostly alternate between this new plywood blade and a 14" Forrest WWII for solids, which comes with the machine.

The Freud high-ATB blades have worked very well for me. I've used the FS high-ATB in the past with good results, but they're more expensive and QC was hit/miss. I'd suggest spending the time to get the scoring system dialed in - much better blade life and consistent cutting with a 72-tooth triple chip and the scorer.

The best I've used so far for double sided melamine and hardwood veneers is the Forrest Hi-AT blade. Not cheap, but it cuts significantly better than the WWII. I use Freud's double sided melamine blade with good results also, but still not quite as good as the Forrest. Also the Forrest seemed to hold its sharpness longer.

If you are using a scoring blade, you can use a triple chip grind for maximum tool life. There are many good panel saw sets out there.

Any of the industrial blades will have a good lifespan. I prefer Leitz and Flai (a less expensive Italian brand). TCG (triple chip grind) is necessary if you intend to cut more than 10 sheets of melamine at a time. ATB will give good cut on the top and bottom for about 5 sheets before it is wasted. For ply I use either my high tooth count ATB crosscut blade or a high tooth count combination blade.

I like a 65 to 70 tooth combo blade for ply and for quick solid wood part sizing. I always use an 80+ tooth Hi-ATB blade for cutting door parts to length. If you process solid wood, do yourself a favor and get a nice sturdy ripping blade. A good slider will straight line lumber better than a jointer and way better than a rip saw.

Forrest makes a great plywood blade. We use it on our slider. We use tons of 2 sided finished maple ply, with perfect cuts time and time again. Forrest also makes great chop saw blades.