Cleaning Before Re-Coating Kitchen Cabinets On Site

Removing dirt, grease, and contaminants without damaging the appearance of the existing finish is the problem. Here are tips and suggestions. August 15, 2011

I have an old kitchen to re-clear-coat. What would work best? I'm worried most about the fish eyes that all the grease will cause.

Sure would be a bummer to run into all the possible fish eye problems and then have to add a bit of this and a bit of that to overcome the issue. Why not strip it down to bare wood, clean the bare wood real good, sand it real good, and then apply a real good coating?

That would be my choice, but if you bid the job already and you bid it for a quick clean, a quick sand, and a quick topcoat, it might be difficult to re-bid and get a positive response from the customer.

Some newer coatings really don't get along with the older coatings. Do you know what sort of coating is on there now? You could take a door or a drawer front and fool around with different procedures and see which works the best for you.

I finished this job 7 years ago, and time beat it up a little bit. It has CV on it now. Is there anything I can clean it with?

How about a good scrubbing with paint thinner and a green Scotchbrite type of pad? Follow it up with a good washing of Ivory or Dove dish soap.

Some soap and water, then a diluted TSP wash down is what I see used a lot. You also might want to consider a clear coat of Sealcoat (dewaxed shellac) after you clean it up to seal in any grease, etc.

Challenger is a great degreaser and cleaner as well.

All good advice so far. Use the soap first for the food, grease, fingerprints, etc. TSP is a good choice next, but could cloud up an old finish, so a quick test would be a good idea before you proceed. (You say it's conversion varnish, so you'll be fine.) If any furniture polish was used, I would wipe everything down with paper towels and xylene. Nasty work onsite or in the shop.

Work smart with these solvents! Keep a box of nitrile gloves at your side. Wear your respirator. Safety glasses? I don't need 'em, but think about it. And for god's sake, don't start a fire at the jobsite.

Start with the mildest cleaner first. Now you're ready to scuff sand and finish as usual.

Simple green.

You can clean the grease, wax or other oil contaminant with mineral spirits. Use a dampened rag with mineral spirits, and do your refinishing process.