Cleaning Edgebander Glue Spreader

Fine points of getting the gunk out of your edgebander's glue spreader. March 26, 2010

Question
We have a Holz-Her edgebander with the glue cartridges and are having an issue with the glue spreader. Is there any way to clean it? Glue comes out great on the bottom 3/4 of the piece but the top 1/4 (about 1/8") gets nothing. I tried opening up the dial but that doesn't do anything. Anyone else have this issue?

Normal maintenance calls for poking the holes out with a piece of wire, supplied by Holz-Her, to break loos the baked on glue. I have found that this usually only needs to be done on the holes that do not get used all the time. You must remove the dosing rod from the noel before poking the holes, however, or you will scratch it and ruin it. Have you not owned the machine for very long? This would be one of the maintenance items gone over by the tech upon installation. You need to periodically remove this rod and put a small amount of anti-seize on it before reinstalling anyway.

Fine brass brush and a small paper clip to poke the burn glue out of the holes.

The above answers are correct. This needs to be done as a maintenance issue. Typically, if you run 3/4 and 1/2 inch material normally, then switch to one inch or more, the unused upper holes may be clogged if you do not regularly clean them out. Do the proper maintenance and you won't be holding up a job to clean the system.

Everyone's posts are right on the money, no pun intended. The only thing that I would add is that you check your cartridge for any dirt, dust, trimmer shavings, or anything that may clog the holes, when you are adding them.

If I may, let me add that I agree with removing the dosing rod first. If done correctly, it is a time consuming, hot and messy process. Definitely necessary during maintenance, but if I need to just run a half a dozen 1" thick shelves and I'm not getting glue on top, I just pull the "clevis" pin from the cylinder, open the gate, thereby rotating the dosing rod slot in line with the holes, then gently poke the wire into the various holes, and purge a few shots until it runs through. Saves a bunch of time and usually works just fine.

I would add three things. Do the maintenance of removing the dousing rod and soaking it in lacquer thinner fully cleaning it out periodically. It makes the machine run problem free over time. We use Dorus HKP25 glue slugs. It is the most expensive glue but well worth the money. We used another brand and had various problems over time. We also wax the areas around the glue nozzle that tend to get glue on them and the pressure wheel with wax that is made for glue wheel clamps. It keeps and glue from sticking and makes it easier to keep clean. It is a good machine good luck!

Thanks for the info. I was able to remove the dosing rod and poke the baked on glue from the holes and we are up and running again.