Cleaning Mold Off Logs
Advice on removing surface mold from logs. January 25, 2010
I have several small white pine logs peeled and ready for the kiln. The problem is they've been ready too long now. There is green mold (or maybe pollen?) on the bottom sides of all of them. My guess would be to use a pressure washer... Any suggestions?
(Sawing and Drying Forum)
From contributor J:
I had the same problem with logs (112 red pine) I peeled for a log cabin. It was a very wet year and the logs were in a log landing with heavy canopy cover. I finally moved them to a sunny spot and got them about two feet off of the ground. I used a solution of regular Clorox bleach and water to spray on the logs. They cleaned up nicely but did grey a bit.
From Professor Gene Wengert, forum technical advisor:
You can kill and remove the surface mold with bleach. It may change the color. If the wood is still wet, the mold can come back. Moldy wood may exist in the interior.
Trisodium phosphate is suggested for scrubbing mold off of a surface, but follow directions as you do not want to mix it with bleach.
Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?
Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base
KnowledgeBase: Primary Processing
KnowledgeBase: Primary Processing: Air Drying Lumber
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in
any manner without permission of the Editor.
Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.
The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices.
What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe
for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use
of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation,
and at their own risk.
335 Bedell Road
Montrose, PA 18801
Copyright © 1996-2016 - WOODWEB ® Inc.