Cleaning Wide Sander Belts

Tips for de-gumming sanding belts. August 8, 2005

Question
I am wondering what the best way to clean wide belt sanders is. I was told that using rubber sticks would dull the grit. If you wash them, what do you put them in? Do you put them in a large pipe and soak them, or just spray a cleaner on then wash with a high pressure sprayer? Any help is appreciated.

I used to use a purple solvent which I believe was called nu-grit. We did a knotty pine project and the belts were loading right up. We would spray the nu-grit on the belt, let it set up, and scrub it with a brush and let it dry and then we were back in business.

Isopropyl alcohol will do exactly the same thing as any commercially available cleaner.

My buddy takes his to the coin operated carwash, soaks them with Fantastic or 409 and then sprays them off. They look brand new when he's done.

For our cloth backed belts we use Simple Green. Spray it on, let set for a minute or two, and use a scrub brush. It will peel off even the worst burn line. Be very careful if you are using a paper belt though, it might cause delaminating.