Clear-Coat Over Vinyl Decal

Advice on how to apply and coat a decal on a wood table top. May 20, 2011

I have a request from a customer to put a vinyl decal on an oak table top and clear it over. Has anyone else done this and if so, what clear coat did you use? I normally use a SW pre-cat lacquer, but I'm hesitant to use it thinking that it might have a bad reaction with the adhesive of the decal. I haven't found a WB clear that I really like yet, so I'm not in a hurry to use one, but I will if I have to. Any suggestions?

Piano refinishers do it all the time. Don't know what their decals are made of.

These decals are vinyl and I'm guessing they are the same type used on signs and that sort of thing. I really don't know much about decals and their makeup. I think I'm going to do a few tests with different clears and see what works best.

I have done several pieces where I finished over a vinyl decal. In all instances I had the company that does the vinyl graphics on our company vehicles supply and cut the vinyl. I used an automotive acrylic urethane as my topcoat. I have attached a picture of a table I did several years ago for a 60' boat in Florida. I have not seen the table since it was installed, but according to the owner, the finish has held up very well.