Clear Topcoats for Custom Finished Guitars

A discussion of gloss finishes for guitars. July 17, 2008

Question
I am getting into making guitars and have been making and experimenting for about two years. I am trying special paint jobs on quite a few and have been searching for a good sealer system that is durable. The different sealers I have found are not very hard and thin which chip easily or take forever to dry and still I cannot get a hard durable finish like I want.

I am hoping to paint with an enamel and clear-coating with an auto clear-coat which would be multiple coats of clear urethane. I have not tried this yet and am in the process of researching the sealer and clear-coat compatibilities. Any suggestions of what sealer to use or where I can find some info would be greatly appreciated!

Where are you located?

It sounds like you are talking about a polyester finish. I repair these finishes as well as restore pianos as part of my business. Most of the high gloss pianos (Elton John style) are top-coated with this finish.

I am in Canton, Ohio. I still have not found a brand name that I am sure is what these people are recommending. I did find one myself that looks to be right but I am still clueless. It is a Duratec polyester and they have a marine grade also.

This is how I was told to do it:
Filler (if needed)
sealer (polyester)
primer
paint (enamel)
clear (Automotive clear)

This is a bit different from the Nitrocellulose system I have tried, and according to what I have read anyway, would be a lot better. And I must add that I have painted about 10 so far. They look pretty good, but as for durability they aren't good.

The marine product would be Awlgrip. It's a 2 part linear poly. It is bombproof and more flexible than the automotive 2 part acrylic finishes like Imron. They sell superior high build primers that are epoxy based. The topcoats have one of the highest gloss off the gun available.

I would use a three part Polyester for the filling aspect (base coat) after blocking it down then I would go with a two part Gloss Polyuretane. Your results will be spectacular, durable and also flexible. There are many brands out there - Sayerlack, ICA, ILVA, Milesi, Sayerwood and Chemcraft.

Unfortunately I have been testing with this to get the look right. It is floated on water, the guitar dipped into the paint/water to get a "swirl" effect. So changing to a colored urethane? Not sure if I want to start practicing again.

I want to get it just right without any water spots and a nice pattern. It is impossible to get the same one twice, but at least I can have an idea.

Just make sure to test out the entire system before doing the guitars. There may be compatibility issues between the “enamel" you’re using and what else is being recommended.