Coating Over Tung Oil

Once they're dry, tung oil finishes can be recoated with lacquer. November 12, 2006

Question
I built a custom one-off table several months ago and finished it with pure tung oil. Last week I sold the piece to a client and also sold the idea of making a big entertainment center to match. They want a UV protective finish on the EC because it is near windows and want me to put the same finish on the custom table I made. Can I go right over the tung oil (put 2 coats on a few months ago), or do I need to sand it and start over? I'm not sure if the tung oil actually cures, because there is no dryer in it.

It all depends on the tung oil you used. Most "tung oil" today is actually a tung oil finish. Either way, I have used tung oil in pure form and in finish form and then applied a finish over it with no problems, as long as the pure tung oil sat a week. It does matter what kind of finish you try to put over it. I have done it with precat lacquer with no problems, as long as I mist coat on the sealer. You can also use shellac dewaxed, like Zinssner. Poly will work fine, but as we all know, that's not a production finish and a royal pain.

I sprayed pre-cat on an oiled cherry jewelry box with no headaches. The oil had been dry for less than a week. As with any finish over finish, test a small area first.

Tung oil finish needs to cure at least 36 hours before topcoating. After that, you should be fine as long as the tung is a tung oil finish (common tung oil and varnish blend) and not pure tung. Pure tung will take a lot longer to harden, probably at least a week or two until it could be topcoated. Again, samples are recommended. In the case of the table, you should be good to go with a topcoat.

And by the way, why can't polyurethane be a production finish? Urethanes are used all the time in the auto industry...

What I was referring to was the Minwax type of poly. I know about the others and they are fine.

As to pure tung oil, I have used a brand several times that will be okay overnight. It's kind of like the old "boiled" in boiled linseed oil. Thought when I read that it would dry in a couple of hours, they were crazy, but it did, and yes, it was pure tung oil.

Thanks. The piece was made last September, so I suspect it has been long enough, and that I can simply lightly sand and then finish.