Computerized bandmill setworks -- worth the investment?

Cost-saving advantages of utilizing setworks on a bandmill. December 6, 2000

What do you think about computerized setworks on a bandmill? Is it worth the $1500-$3000? I intend to do a lot of grade sawing, turning the log many times. Will the setworks be useful to me or just a big hassle?

I've been sawing with setworks for a year and speed picked up, my head doesn't hurt from the math, and I sleep a lot better at night (not near as tired). I like it!

I don't think you can go wrong with the setworks, although the price you quoted sounds a little high. I gave less than a grand for mine and they work very well.

With one touch of a button or lever, the saw head will lower to a preset depth. You donít have to do it manually and there are none of the usual fine adjustments required when doing it by eye. For example, if your scale says 23 and 13/16 and you would like to drop down 5 and 5/8 to cut a 2x6 cant, you can either set the setworks to drop the saw head for you or figure out in your head how far to move the sawhead down and what your scale should read to get the desired cut. Quick, whatís 23 and 13/16 minus 5 and 5/8? When tearing down through a 12 inch cant cutting 1 bys it's nice to hit the lever once and drop one inch and cut another board without the usual up, up, down, down, up.

I have worked with companies that consider putting one in and they all claim 5% or larger returns plus better quality. Go for it.

Gene Wengert, forum technical advisor