Correcting Snipe on a Planer

A few simple tips help a woodworker get his Woodmaster 718 planer into satisfactory shape. February 2, 2012

Question
I cannot seem to stop my Woodmaster 718 planer from sniping. The roller tension has been set and the knives are sharp but the first 2-3 inches are really sniped. Any idea what mods can be done to stop this?

Install a 48" or longer bedboard and bolt it to the in/outfeed extension tables - four bolts in each. I also keep my rollers set a little tighter than the book specifies, about 1/16" tighter to start.

I too have a 718 and have come very close to eliminating snipe, but not quite perfect. Part of the issue is design, without a chipbreaker and with so much flexibility built in to the outfeed roller there is some room for error. In addition to the advice above, I would recommend carefully aligning your infeed and outfeed tables. I've actually found that my planer performs better without the poly bed board and with the infeed/outfeed rollers angled slightly upwards. You should be able to take a straightedge and rest it across the bed (including in/outfeed) and the straightedge should rest about 1/16" above the cast planer bed. I only use the poly bed for ripping/molding.

Thank you for the tips. I have made a bed board from 3/4 " melamine that extends the entire length of the infeed and outfeed tables and it is bolted to those tables respectively. I think I might use your idea to see if there is enough flex to lift both ends to get that 1/16" in the center.

I have been able to pretty much eliminate snipe on my 718. The bed board is important, as is raising the ends of the in feed/outfeed tables. The secret is to bolt the center of the bed board down at the inside of the tables. If the bed board is raised off the bed of the machine, then it will be forced down as the board feeds in, and spring back as the board exits. There is the snipe. Also, always insure that the springs on the feed rollers are properly adjusted. All four corners should be tensioned differently.

I have to say thanks to all of you. I have actually used a tip from each one of you to fix this planer. It has gone from an 1/8 " plus gouge to a slight impression. No more bad attitude when I start up the planer!