Countertop Cutout for a Slide-In Stove

Tips on fitting a slide-in range to a counter. May 28, 2010

Question
I need to make a mica countertop for a customer who bought a Kenmore Elite slide-in stove four years ago and no longer has the manual. I have never made a countertop for a slide-in stove before, but I know some kind of cutout needs to be made for the stove to slide in. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

1- Measure the stove
2- Make it fit
The stove should have a lip that sits on top of the counter on three sides. Open in the front.

I agree with the above, but you should also be able to easily find a manual online.

I just put a new countertop in our kitchen with a 4-5 year old Kenmore Elite slide-in. Assuming it's the same, you'll find that the opening needs to be a little bit wider at the very front for a good fit. Once the opening is in, you just slide it in and then lower it down until it just kisses the countertop.

If it has the glass top like ours, be careful that the weight of the stove is supported by the feet and not hanging by the cooktop. When we first got ours delivered, the Sears delivery guys said they wouldn't even install them because of the hazard of breaking the cooktop (but that's a whole 'nother story).

I assume there is a countertop there already... The simplest way would be to use the existing opening as a template for the new top, but it is important to remember to also finish the inside edges. You could also contact the manufacturer and have them email you the specs and/or get them from the manufacturer's website.

It has been a while since I did one. If the countertop has a raised drip edge, I think you also have to shave the raised part flat for the cooktop to sit flush.