Curly White Oak

Sawyers show off examples of figured white oak. December 1, 2005

Question
I came across a nice white oak log and decided to quarter saw it and to my delight, found it was curly. It milled almost 200 bdft. Anyone have an idea of what it's worth?

$2.25 bft 6" wide or less, 10"+ $3.50 bft.

I ran across a big red oak with the same curly figure. I quartered it and it looks great. I dried it in my kiln and I would say it is worth a tad more than that. If you check out some of the figured wood dealers, see what they are asking for curly oak and you will be stunned. I'm not selling mine unless I get a real good offer - it's just too pretty!

Name your price. That stuff is beautiful.

Seen very little of it, but I did saw these out a few years ago and found them in a pile of qsawn white oak when I planed it. Had been a wondering where they had gotten off to. Not for sale!