Curved Closet Poles

Ideas for fabricating curved closet poles from wood or metal. May 28, 2010

Question
I have a designer that wants a corner in a closet to have a curved inside corner with radiused closet poles. I can't seem to find curved or radiused closet poles. Are they available?

Can they be metal? Or must they be wood?

I have done this for years. The poles have to be metal. You need to find a metal shop that can bend the tubing without crushing it.

It depends on whether you want wood or metal. For metal, Outwater will bend brass bar footrail to custom radii, in a variety of finishes. Maybe 1-1/2" dia. will work as closet pole. For wood, you can glue strip laminates in a quickly made form and round over. Might take less time than trying to find a supplier that has some for the radius you need. I have no formal design training, but if I correctly picture what you are asking for, when you hang clothes on a radius rod, unless it is a wide sweep, the hangers will all bunch together towards the inner radius of the curve. Perhaps it may be better to have an angled straight closet rod in the corner.

We have local marine metal shops that make things like boat handrails bow/stern rails, etc. They bend 1" stainless everyday by hand and machine. Our closet rail is typically speced as 1 1/2" chrome plated steel. I don't know who could bend that. It's pretty stout.

That's a poor design and a waste of space. Tell the designer to design something that is more functional and a better use of the client's space. An angled straight rod in the corner will not be functional either. A corner shelf unit works great in closets and provides deep shelf space that goes into the corner where infrequently used items can be stored.

If this needs to be wood, it is too easy. I'll assume it is 1-5/16" round. Determine the radius degrees of curve etc, and bandsaw a blank 1-5/16" thick x 1-5/16+ wide. Then simply route this with a 5/8" radius roundover bit and sand. You can leave the ends straight so you can half lap to the straights for easy and strong joinery, or use hanger bolts like the stair rail joiners do. You might even find what you need on the shelf with a large stair part supplier.

You can fill closet rods full of sand to keep from crushing while bending. Tape ends to hold sand in. You need to find something to hold the end, and keep moving forward bending small amounts at a time and you can achieve a nice radius bend. If you know an electrician they have the hand held pipe benders that work great.