Custom Door Profile: Custom Cutter Versus CNC Solution

While searching for a particular profile cutterhead for his shaper, a cabinetmaker learns about a possible way to get what he needs from a CNC-equipped shop. April 29, 2013

Question
I need to find a cutter for a door panel profile. I use a 3HP shaper with a 3/4" spindle. I am trying to match a 17 year old Kraftmaid cabinet door. I have looked at Freud, Amana, Freeborn and several others. What other tool manufacturers am I missing here?

Depending on how many you need, you could have a cutter custom made or look at door company catalogs and find the panel detail, and maybe have them run them?

Find someone with a CNC with modeling capabilities. We do restoration work and just program the profile and run the part. Our shaper has all but retired.

I will look in my Walzcaft book. I have never ordered from them, just got the catalog two months ago. Any other door companies come to mind? I wouldn't know where to start with the CNC. How do you program the part?

It's simple - we take measurements of the door to be replicated, design a tool in software, run the profile on CNC. I takes about 1 hr to program and about 15 minutes to run each panel. We have gotten very good at this since new construction tapered off - about 1/2 of our work is restoration. We have Ecabinets teamed up with Thermwood CNC. Profiling and modeling are included.

I also use ecabinets. I kinda know how to design a cutting tool but don't have a CNC machine. Can I design the profile and email it to someone how has a CNC, and have them make the part?

Conestoga… P-125 or Presidential Panel depending on how much space is between the flat part of the panel and the bead. P-125 has 0.688” space and the Presidential has 1.188”. (If I had to guess, it looks like the P-125 to me.) Regular framing bead. C-2 or LC-2 edge profile depending on how deep the profile is. (Looks like the C-2.) Guess who makes Kraftmaid’s doors?

Conestoga makes Kraftmaid doors? That would be too easy. Thanks. I will check the door library in Ecabs for that.

Yes, you can. Make sure you create the part from a sheet good. It is easier to nest that way.

I think you have lost me. You are 3D modeling a stile and rail door and cutting them on the CNC? Are you buying cope and stick router bits? I don't get it. The picture is showing a five piece door. I could 3D model the panel and sticking, then groove after, but how are you coping?

We model the panel. The cope and stick are usually off the shelf router bit sets. If not, we model them also. Model the profile, cut groove for panel on shaper. If you have the right software machine combination, once learned, it becomes a simple operation. We do this on a daily basis. It is also marketable. We are the only shop in town offering this service. Most shops only use their CNC for panel production, which is about 10% of the capacity. We are small enough we can offer this service. It keeps our router billable.