Cutting Acute Miters

Suggestions for setting up a table saw to cut sharper than 45 degree angles. April 20, 2011

I have several flag cases to turn out for an upcoming event. I've never done acute angles on the table saw. What is the most precise way to make the 67.5 miter? I don't want to use the chop saw. I prefer the accuracy of the table saw, though I know how to do them on the chop saw.

Felder sells an add-on for your slider that makes acute miters easy. It is called the EGL. They also have a model called the DGL. You can search the website using the part number 401-152 under tooling and accessories. Even if this unit won't work for you it may give you some ideas on how to make a jig for your table saw. The EGL pivots near the saw blade and has a very large scale making acute miters and tapers possible from zero to 90 degrees.

I usually make a sled out of 1/2" material and nail and screw some 3/4 x 3/4 to hold the piece how I need it. You may need two different ones for the different cuts, but it's quick and easy. Then you either save them for later or toss them.

I saw an article where the person used his tenoning jig. Not sure if he tilted the jig or sawblade to the angle needed. I think it would work either way. I would try tilting the blade at 22.5 and leaving the blade at 90.

Why isn't your chop saw accurate enough?

I use a Dewalt 12" dual bevel that has never cut perfect for me no matter how much fussing. One side of the fence is a little off. Want to upgrade but haven't been able to afford it.

I did end up making a wedge with a fence and attached to my miter gauge. Then mitered with the work standing up. Worked out great except I had to make the box and lid separately due to it being too tall for a 10" table saw.