Cutting Marine HDPE

Advice on cutting marine-grade high-density polyethylene (HDPE). June 17, 2009

Question
I just acquired some King Starboard to cut. Iíve never cut it before as I mostly cut melamines. Does anyone have any tips on feeds, speeds and a bit to use?

Have you considered contacting King Starboard?

It turns out the sheets are not King Starboard but a product called Boatboard by Laminations. It seems similar to Starboard. I will be talking to them later but would like to hear from anyone who has cut this type of material.

I have had a chance to cut King Starboard several times and found that a 1/4" spiral "O" upcut bit works great. I have used 16000 rpm on the spindle and depending on the depth of cut I adjust my cut speed. Watch the chip load and chip size to gauge your speed. You should enjoy cutting this material.

We cut King Starboard all the time as it is used in the boating industry. The material is 1/2 inch thick. Remove the plastic coating before cutting (it wraps around the tool and sounds like a chopper coming in for landing). I use a 3/8 High Helix down-shear in two passes 18,000 rpm and 240 IPM feed. The chips are very small and curl. It cuts very nicely, doesn't get hot, and has a nice finish. Be sure to ramp in with a downshear so the material does not pack and clog the bit.

Well I cut some before I read the previous post. I did not remove the plastic coating and it wrapped around the tool and pulled a small part and broke a bit. Other than that it cut nicely. I used a 3/8" compression and cut in three passes on 3/4" material. I will go to a 1/2" compression and try that with a little slower feed to get a better finish on the edge. These are the bits I have available and I will see how it works. I do have downshears but no upshears in the shop.

I cut sea board almost every day. The 3/4 inch white is the toughest. I use a 1/2" 2 flute down shear at 18000 RPM; 900 IPM however if for some reason a two or three flute duel compression bit ends up trying to cut it. It does not work out. The half white and gray I use the 1/2" 2 flute duel compression, 18000 RPM at 1300 IPM (the same set up for 1/2" plywood).