Cutting Out Sink Holes in Laminate Tops

October 2, 2007

Question
I just bought a rotozip spiral saw. I'd like to use it for sink cutouts on laminate tops, but its maximum cutting depth is 1". Can this tool be used to do this?

I've always just done the layout, drilled a starter hole, and used a jig saw with a down shear laminate blade, but always up for new ideas.

We've used a router with bushing and 3/8 spiral for years. I think the rotozip bits will be too fragile and chatter.

I've used the rotozip for countertops. Not too bad for countertops with no build-up (3/4" thick). As soon as you try to cut thicker than 1", the bit starts burning because it is a downshear and the chips have nowhere to exit. The bit doesn't last too long after
several inches of this type of cutting. I get excellent results with a Bosch hollow-ground upcut jigsaw blade #T101. These babies cut with surgical precision. Jigsaw set on zero orbit.

I tried a down cutting bit on a jig saw and what I experienced was the jig saw had a strong tendency to bounce away from the surface. I use a good up cut blade and have good results. I also put duct tape around the perimeter of the cut to help against chipping, though with a good glade, fine tooth, this is not a problem.

I've had good cutting speed with the 1/8" sabercut type bit with material up to 3/4" (substrate with laminate). The blunt guide point bits are only good for drywall. You might try the 1/4" spiral bit, with the 1/4" collet. Watch your cutting direction so you keep on the waste side.