Cutting StarBoard on the CNC

Advice on feed rates, RPMs, and bit choices for cutting StarBoard high density polyethylene on the CNC. December 28, 2014

Question
I have to cut 3/4'' starboard on my CNC and need advice on the tool type, rpm, and speed. Any help is appreciated.

From Contributor H

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Forum Posts Categories

We have had the best results cutting this with our 3 flute slow spiral upcut. Since this is a plastic you need to get those chips out (14,000 to 16,000 RPM at 200 to 400 IPM as a starting point). Always start low and work your way up. A lot is going to depend on the diameter tool you use. Half is best if you can and the size of the part being cut. Always check and change collets.

I was just cutting some of this the other day with a 3/8" carbide offlute (1" length of cut) at 17,000 rpm and 175 ipm (approximatley 4.5mpm). This application required exceptional edge finish so we did several roughing passes leaving .012~.015, then one finish pass. It cuts very well! I would think in most applications that do not require a surface finish measured in micro inches, you could cut substantially faster (feed rate).

Starboard can have a slight warp in the sheet from time to time and this causes issues when cutting or trimming finished parts. Some folks I know have used either a 1/32", 1/16" or even 1/8" sealant in order to create a better vacuum seal between the substrate and the spoilboard.