Cutting Steel Wool from a Roll

Steel wool dulls scissors quickly. Here are suggestions for other ways to cut it when purchased in bulk. October 19, 2014

Question (WOODWEB Member)

Click to View Member Profile Forum Posts

Does anyone have a good method to cut steel wool from a roll? We have rolls here and cut hand sized pieces off, but the scissors dull quickly and then someone gets in a hurry and gets frustrated goes up to upholstery and steals the scissors there because they're so sharp. There must be some tool to cut the stuff.

I use bolt cutters myself.

Press it flat with a board and slice with razor knife.

This has always worked for us.

I will try some bolt cutters. Thanks everyone.

You can get a handful of scissors at Harbor Freight for less than $5. They work just fine.

From Contributor O:
Razor knifes are not expensive and so are the replacement blades.

Shears - not bolt cutters. You guys already knew that.

Have you tried a rotary splitter or shear? You can get carbide blades for these tools. You can also buy carbide or ceramic scissors or special scissors for cutting fiberglass or carbon fiber.

I haven't used that stuff in years it leaves to much residue. Are you guys using it to sand finish or what?

For final rubout on cured finish right before it goes out the door. There is always some attention needed. Scotch-Brite is not aggressive enough.

I use abralon pads to rub out. Steel wool leaves too many scratches.

It's hard to beat the Mirka abrasive sponge blocks.

Are they as aggressive as and leave as smooth a finish as steel wool? I hate the steel wool shards in the air, not sure how the guys on the floor feel. They seem to always want to stay with whatever method has been working for years, so I need to have a noticeable improvement somewhere to make any change stick.

I only shoot pre cat lacquer, so I can't speak for the other finishes you probably use. They sand the pre cat very well and come in several grits. I would definitely give them a try.