De-Blushing Clear Lacquer

Simple advice for getting rid of blush in lacquer. January 14, 2008

This is the first time I have adventured to spray a lacquer on wood chair frames. Still learning the good and bad about lacquers. I am using Mohawk's satin clear on these chairs that are being touched up. We have put the upholstered back and seat back on the chairs. When we delivered the chairs to the customer, I noticed some areas that had some white film on it, a bit rough, overspray.

I have tried using a 400 grit buffing pad, and it worked, but the area still had a slight white haze left. Is there any product that I could wipe on those areas that would help remove this? The customer has not said anything, but I would like to correct the problem, so I know it was done correctly.

It sounds like there could be moisture trapped in the clear coat. You should pick up a can of Mohawk's no blush flat blender m103-0276. It's a formulation of solvents that "re-melts" the finish and levels out small defects and allows moisture to escape. Whatever the white haze, this could only help. It has helped me with scuffs, scratches, moisture in table tops many times and leaves a seamless repair.

Depending on the level of the blush, in some cases, 4/0 steel wool will rub it out.
If the blush is deeper, then the "no blush" would be needed to remove the blush. The next time you spray over a coated surface, first wipe it down with mineral spirits to clean and de-wax the surface, and then let it dry, and then do your spraying.

The white haze you're seeing is most likely blushing caused by a too fast solvent in your lacquer for the temperature and humidity in which you're spraying. You may also have sprayed on too heavy a coat of finish. In either case, if the humidity is relatively high, moisture can be trapped in the finish with the result being a milky-white haze in the finish. Use the Mohawk aerosol product mentioned above. I've used it with good success to get rid of blushing and limited orange peel. Be aware that even the flat version of the product may cause an increase in the finish's sheen. Don't spray it on too heavily. Next time you spray lacquer, consider using one of the slower blush-resistant reducers.