Dealing with Fine Scratches in Black Lacquer

      Suggestions for effective final buffing of a black finish. March 9, 2008

I am a general contractor in New York City. We installed floor-to-ceiling black lacquer panels and cabinets in a bedroom suite. The client is complaining about super fine scratches visible from some angles. My cabinetmaker's method was as follows: four coats of lacquer, sanded in between, the final coat with a 2000 grit random orbital sanding, finished with a polishing compound, using a polisher. After the client complained about the hazing the polisher left, we hand-rubbed a glazing compound on all the doors and panels. The look is better, but still, very fine scratches are visible, especially under bright light. Does anyone know if there is a way to eliminate these scratches? Is this normal?

Forum Responses
(Finishing Forum)
From contributor J:
Get a finishing wheel and either a super soft cloth or a sponge pad for it. You have to rub this on the lacquer dry. What happens is it heats up and the scratches melt out. Same thing happened to me on the east side by the 59th street bridge; the sun shone right onto it everyday for about 5 hours. I had to go there with a buffing wheel and just buff it out using no liquids whatsoever.

From contributor R:
What does the in-house sample look like? Does it have some slight polishing scratches? If so, what's a guy/gal to do? Try and get a hold of a product sold at auto body shops called Liquid Ebony. This is a liquid colored polish that's meant to be used on a high gloss black surface and its job is to eliminate swirl marks and buffing marks on a black high gloss surface. On top of all the solid black that's been applied, you should have a few coats of clear! It's easier to buff a clear coat than it is to buff a colored coat.

From the original questioner:
Thanks. The cab guy already tried the auto body stuff. I'm not sure if it was Liquid Ebony - probably not - it didn't look black. I'll check into it. What exactly is a finishing wheel? Is it something that goes on a grinder/polisher? Where do I get one?

From contributor J:
A finishing wheel is what the finisher used to polish the unit to begin with, same as a grinder, but slightly different.

From contributor D:
3M sells an auto polish called "swirl mark remover" that might help.

From contributor J:
No polish will get out the final scratches. You need to heat it up with a buffing wheel. I have tried every single polish on the market, before I tried none - and it worked.

From contributor R:
I have had great results with Liquid Ebony, but to each his own. At this point, why not clean the existing finish real good and then apply a few coats of clear gloss? Rubbing or polishing or buffing a clear gives super results and won't present the kind of problems you're having trying to buff a color coat. Dry machine buffing a color coat with the intention of heating it up can be absolutely disastrous and could result in ruining the coating beyond repair. Think about the clear coat option.

From contributor E:
Check with a local auto body shop. They use a sponge polishing pad to take out any buffing marks, which might help.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing: General Wood Finishing

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2017 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article