Dealing with Planer Tear-Out

Craftsmen discuss tooling and operator techniques for minimizing tear-out from planing lumber. November 12, 2005

At the Las Vegas show I saw the Shelix planer head. I have a 15" Delta planer, and I just had the knives sharpened but it still wants to tear-out on maple. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

From what I read on these forums, multiple overlapping knife type cutter heads leave ridges, but the helical/shear type cut will lessen tear out. A lot of woods, including maple, will tear out in the planer if you feed to the knives against the grain in the board. I have a straight knife planer and I deal with the issue of tear out by first flattening one face of the stock on the jointer.

I look at the edge of each board and make an estimate as to grain direction. If I hear the grain tearing, I reverse the board for the next pass. After I know which way each board machines the best, I have simple methods to keep track of it. Then when I plane them to thickness, I run the boards according to what I learned about their grain direction on the jointer.

In the event that a board is straight and flat enough to go directly to the planer without the need to face joint, I estimate the grain direction and take a light pass through the planer. If the grain tears out, I reverse the direction of feed for that face. This method is difficult if you use S2S (13/16") material and need to net 3/4" thickness. I almost always inventory 15/16" hit or miss as my 1" material. 15/16" material leaves lots of room to plane out any tear out if a board gets planed against the grain at first.

The next time you talk to your sharpening guy, ask him about back bevel.

I run all my maple on a widebelt sander 36 grit then up. It takes time but I have no tear out at all. I make doors mostly. Another thing I do is to make one extra panel the largest size as a spare in case something happens in the process (panel raising), then use it for drawer fronts. This saves time in the end.

Since you asked about the Shelix cutterhead, I'll comment on that. I've had one in my 20"SAC planer for a year and a half now and swear by it. It does eliminate tear out, and because they are carbide inserts in the cutterhead, I was able to run at least 80,000 lf through it before I rotated the inserts. It is a very cost effective method. People say you can see faint lines in the board after it's been planed with a Shelix head, and you can, but you can also see knife marks after you plane with a sharp set of HSS knives. Anyway, who doesn't sand their wood after it comes out of the planer?

I ordered the Shelix head and it takes about six weeks for shipment.