Dedicated vs. power-fed tablesaw ripping

Increasing productivity by upgrading to a straight-line, dedicated saw. August 29, 2001

We process 10,000-15,000 board feet of various hardwoods per year and are looking for ways to increase productivity. Presently, we straightline rip on a sliding table saw and then take the boards to a heavy duty table saw with a power feeder for ripping to width. This saw could use more horsepower (it's 5hp). If we are going to upgrade, is it worth the expense of moving up to a straight line dedicated saw?

Just by the simple fact that you would be down to working on one tool, a straight line would be worth the cost. As an example, we have for sale a 15 hp dip chain straight line right now for $3500. There are others in this class also available, and compare that to buying a new 7.5 hp table saw. Tough to find a table saw with more power than that. Do the math and I think you'll see the answer. Once you get the feel of a straight line, you will be amazed at both the yield and time efficiency of the tool.

Yes. I had a saw with a feeder and it worked very well. When I found a used import straight line rip I upgraded. It has 7hp and rips 1" very well, however it is not enough HP to do too much 2". Not needing a straight edge to cut and not having the feeder slip makes it a real joy to use. I cross-cut most of my stock first, so with one operator you can stay busy stuffing it in one end and picking it up on the other. I am using a glue joint rip blade from Systi-Matic. It does a fantastic job.

I would be interested in knowing what your end product(s) is and how you receive your raw lumber (straightlined and surfaced already, perhaps?).

I make kitchen and bath cabinets using the 32mm system of construction. My material comes H&M 15/16. Most lumber is cut for door and drawer fronts as well as other trim parts.

Thinking of an old tilt table, belt driven Yates American or similar brand set up with a feeder and dedicated to certain ripping jobs.

The arbor is longish and can sometimes run two blades with a spacer in between (cleat stock, etc.). The cost of such a saw can be $1200 or less. Often it has 10 hp.

For short pieces, a hopper may be advised. A hundred fpm is not uncommon on these beasts. Blade projection can easily be 6". You have a straight edge already so fence feeding will retain it.