Depth Variations: Is It the Code?

Inconsistent machining is probably a mechanical issue, not a code or controller fault. December 10, 2007

Question
I have encountered a problem processing shapes to G-code using Microvellum. The products in the Microvellum library process and cut fine, but when I draw a shape using AutoCAD and process the code, using Microvellum's post processor, the cut is deeper into the spoilboard, although the code is the same. Any ideas?

(CAD Forum)
Open G-code file in the notepad, click edit ->find, type in Z- and hit enter. It will show you all negative Zs. Click Edit ->Replace, type your negative Z-s in find what box and type Z.0s in replace with. What CNC router are you using? How you probe?

We use a Weeke BHP20, WoodWop and AutoCAD/Microvellum, and we run a test program to set tool heights. The code generated is showing the Z at the right position. Ideally we cut .2mm into the spoilboard. The code, in both situations, reflects this (Z-0.2), but the actual depth of cut from one to the other is different, a lot different. Could it be an offset issue? Could it be that programs created solely with Microvellum use different position offsets (G54's) than a program created just using Microvellum's post-processor?

I do know that there are two places that Microvellum checks the router clearance. One is in the globals under "machining general settings/general machining/router clearance." The other option is in the tool file; under the settings tab there's "spoil board penetration." Make sure those two settings are set the same.

As far as machining calibration, do you mean you use the BHP-200? Make sure into the soft keys that you have the proper selection for "spoilboard or pods."

I have found that Microvellum is usually not the culprit when it comes to depth errors or panel sizes slightly off. Most of our problems stemmed from the router calibrations.

I agree with contributor D. If the code is the same, then you have a controller (not very likely) or a spoilboard flatness issue. This is a hard number business, so we need to know how much variation is "a lot." I have had up to 40 thou variation creep up at times with moisture, heat, thickness of spoilboard, etc. all being possibilities. I am not a Microvellum user, but the code tells the machining story.