Drawer Slides and Stock Thickness

Can drawer slides standardized for use with half-inch material work if you build your drawers from 3/4-inch stock?June 16, 2014

Can these be used together? I realize I'd need to adjust my drawer box width, but can't find it in the literature whether or not they work with 3/4" material.

From Contributor S:
Yes use the 563F Series. Deduct 7/16 from the opening.

You can use the standard 1/2-5/8" ones if you trim the lip down to 5/8". It's not something I would normally do, but it works.

The slides that are made for 19mm (3/4") material are substantially more expensive than those made for 16mm (5/8" or less) material, so I often use Contributor D's method and it works just fine. You may have to see if you can conveniently do this with your construction method.

To contributor D: How do you build your drawers and why is the back (and presumably the front) of the sides and bottom edgebanded?

If the face is also 3/4", and you build a 21" deep drawer - won't you also have to cut down the thickness of the face for the clips? I wouldn't think the Blum slides work with material over 5/8". Correct me if I'm wrong.

The 563F for 3/4 is only $0.81 more than the 563H for 5/8. I wouldn't mess around modifying the drawer for that.

To contributor B: Where are you getting your slides and what is the cost of a 21" length for 5/8" material? Grass DynaPro is 25% more for the 19mm (3/4") version and I seem to recall that the difference was similar for the Tandem's when I was using them.

To contributor M: With the DynaPro slide the front of the drawer does not need to be reduced in thickness like the sides.

Sorry - I thought we were talking about Blum (per OP post) slides here, my questions refer only to Blum.

To contributor V: I'm pretty fussy about banding edges that might get seen. That particular drawer is unique. There's no sub-front (because of the scooped face pull), the face is doweled to the sides and has a stop dado for the bottom. To get the clips butted to the face (not necessary with a 1/2" bottom, but it looks better and I needed the extra space behind the drawer). I shortened the slides with a metalworking notcher.

I just checked my sample Blum Tandem with soft close in the 16mm (5/8") variety. It is being used with a 3/4" pre-finished plywood box and while I reduced the front, it was not necessary. The reduced front allows the drawer front to be pulled tight to the cabinet and if it wasn't reduced there would be about 1/16" space between the DF and the cabinet, which would be equal to or less than a bumper. I urge anyone who is thinking of doing this to run samples for themselves to confirm that this will work.

Note: There is no difference between the 16 and 19mm DynaPro slides except the width of the cabinet member and I believe the Tandem is the same way.

From Contributor Z

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Forum Posts Categories

I used the Blum "H'S" with 3/4 pre-fin ply and it all fit perfect until I installed latches and then blinking boxes that extended 1/4" past the frame. I was going to notch the front but the Blum rep said to go with the "F" series.

It sounds like something is hanging up and not allowing the drawer box to seat on the slides properly, especially since everything worked before the clips were installed. I have had this happen with the slides that have the side-to-side adjustment. I would double check everything carefully before proceeding.