Dressing Power Feeder Tires

Old power feeder rollers that have gotten too glazed to grip can be restored to softness by cleaning, sanding, or re-covering. October 27, 2011

Question
I just changed out some old power feeder tires. The ones I replaced are still somewhat resilient but the rubber surface is so glazed they don't provide any traction. Does anybody know of a way to make these wheels viable or do they belong in the dumpster?

Sounds like the old tires were the factory original kind (tan). You can have the cores recovered with the good stuff, urethane, or pitch them and get hubs that take replaceable tires.

If your tires are rubber, wipe them down with mineral spirits. This not only cleans them, but restores the "stickiness" to the rubber, making then grip again.

Glue a piece of coarse sandpaper to a piece of ply. Clamp it to the shaper table. Run the wheels on the paper and grind off the glaze. If they are really and you have the skill or equipment, you can chuck them in a metal lathe and tune them up.

I remove the wheels from the feeder and carefully sand them on the edge sander. Good as new.

I have chucked them in my lathe and turned the surface, works for awhile. Western rollers are a better situation.

Western Roller tires never need to be tuned up and they grip better at any point in their life then the best stock tire.