Drying Horticultural Maple

Specialty Maples used in landscaping dry like other Maple, but the wood tends to be twisty. June 16, 2014

We are in the process of sawing a bunch of maple for a customer and my dad is calling it cut-leaf maple - is he correct? We have never sawed anything that looks like this. Also I am supposed to kiln dry it for him. There is an obvious twist in the lumber - what should I expect when I dry this - airplane propellers? What schedule is recommended? Also, what kind of price would anyone put on this type of wood?

Cut leaf maple is a horticultural variety of maple and would not be a commercial lumber species. It would be expected to have a lot of tension wood, which you are seeing. It would not be plentiful, so the fact that you have a bunch of logs suggests a different species.

Gene, the customer said he bought the truck load from a tree removal service, and they all were butt logs. From what I found out it looks like very large ambrosia maple. Anyway, what drying schedule would you recommend to help with the tension issues I will run into?

Dry it like hard maple using a "white" schedule. I doubt that you can do anything about the growth stress.