Drying Rough-Turned Bowls

Experienced wood-turners discuss how to dry and finish turned bowls without cracking them. August 23, 2005

Question
I can't find anyone where I live who uses an Ebac kiln to dry rough-turned bowls, turned on a lathe. I use a lot of madrone, black locust, maple, and cherry. Obviously, the madrone and cherry are hardest to keep from cracking. I spray them every day, and that inhibits cracking; however, I'm going by the seat of my pants, not science. I don't have a vent to expel humidity. Opening the door every day may do that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I turn a fair number of bowls and have owned a Ebac lt 800 for three years. I have an 8 ft by 4 ft chamber made out of two in styrofoam. I can dry about 100 mid to large bowls in 19-25 days at mid to mid-high temperature settings.

As a professional woodturner, I suggest you seal your rough turned bowls with Anchorseal. If you're in a humid climate, just seal the end-grain. Otherwise seal the whole thing inside and out. Put it away somewhere out of drafts and direct light/heat for a year. By then, they should be ready to turn to final thickness.

To contributor P: What do you do if you turn a finished bowl from a green blank to keep it from cracking. I have a number of anchor sealed bowl blanks of walnut and osage orange that I have been reluctant to turn for fear the final bowl would crack.

Actually, 90% of my work is natural edge bowls that are cut, blanked, turned, sanded, and finished on the same day. The bowl is turned to less than 1/4" thick throughout. This is important. If you have a thick bottom, it'll crack. After its turned inside and out, I will use a heat gun to dry just the surface, then I start power sanding.

The friction of the sanding will keep the surface dry enough to prevent the paper from clogging. Then I do the same on the outside. Once finished, it usually sits around for a couple hours while I finish a few more. Then I finish them with urethane oil. I put a heavy coat on, wait a few minutes then wipe it off thoroughly. Let it dry overnight, lightly sand with 800 grit, and repeat. Usually I use five coats (five days) then a three step buffing process to give it a high gloss shine. If I have cracks its because I didn't turn the bowl to a truly consistent thickness throughout.

To contributor P: I can appreciate your work, and here is the reverse, sweet gum with a bark base.

To contributor D: I'm a little confused. You mention doing it all in one day, and then the description you give takes five days?

Yes, its all done in one day including the first coat of finish. Since I use four or five coats of finish and it takes a day for each coat to dry, it takes five days to complete. But everything up to the first coat is done in one day.