Drying Walnut Crotch Slabs

A light coat of sealant? Or a slow, careful spell in the kiln? February 26, 2005

I have some awesome black walnut crotch slabs ranging from 2 to 3.5 inches thick. They are currently on sticks and are very green. I've endcoated them very well with Anchorseal. I want to be sure they dry with minimal (no) degrade and am looking for suggestions on successfully drying such stock. I have a Northland Kiln that runs 24/7, but am wary to put them in until at least all the free water is gone.

I searched the forum and someone wrote: "...after sealing the ends with wax end sealer, apply pentacryl generously over the entire crotch...". I would like to hear more about this.

Can anyone help? I have a lot of this material and need to be sure it's handled correctly.

I'd slap some wax on the face of those crotches immediately.

Even then, they may check a little, but not to worry - a little color matched epoxy will bring it back together when you get around to working with them.

If the ends are sealed and you wax the faces of the material, how does drying take place?

It is critical to dry such pieces very slowly. The light coating of the faces with a moisture resistant coating (but not real heavy) will help prevent rapid drying.

I have tried to get more technical information about pentacryl, but I have not seen any independent studies concerning the use of such a material. Everything I have seen with technical info comes from the manufacturer.

I talked to the folks at Preservation Solutions. They suggested their Wood Juice product to help slow drying and stabilize the material.

Would giving the faces a thin coat of watered down Anchorseal be appropriate? Also, it is stickered and covered in a typical fashion. It is shaded all day, but gets later afternoon sun for a few hours. Should I consider Shade-dri curtains or such?

I Anchorseal the logs when bucking or just after I've cleaned them up 6" or so on the mill.

When I find a nice crotch - the spinal looking figure that's prone to checking - I rub the face with a thin coat of carnauba wax. It slows the end grain drying just enough to avoid checking, but not so much as to make a problem in terms of uneven drying.

I always carefully shade dry crotches before, if any, kiln drying.

If you use Anchorseal full strength, it will almost stop drying, which is too slow. A light coating or the wax idea mentioned should be great.

Shade-Dri is probably a good idea, so long as some drying still occurs. Maybe 100% coverage with Shade-Dri is too much, especially if you wax the faces.

Thanks for all the responses. I intended to air dry the material until at least all of the free water is gone. Would that be advisable or should I just get it in the kiln and pay close attention? I figure 2% MC loss per day would be a safe bet.

I have not done any oven sampling yet, but I suspect it to be in the 60-80% range.

I've sold crotches for a couple of years now. Recently, I needed more crotches than I had. I bought them from another sawmiller in the area, who dried them to 9% in his slow solar kiln (except he waxed the figured area). I needed to use them and sure enough, the crotches hadn't dried at all in the figured areas, and the rest of the wood was 9%.

So, concerning your pieces of wood, the only way I know of to dry them without surface checks is to put them in the kiln right away with a s-l-o-w schedule (Gene could certainly fill us in on the schedule for 8-12 quarter walnut). What I do all the time is let them air dry (yes, with small surface checks in the figured area, which I don't consider a defect in the crotch area anyway) until my kiln is ready for an 8/4 wood load, and then I put them in with it.

I agree - the kiln is the best place to control the environment for drying these valuable yet troublesome treasures. However, it requires almost constant attention and locks up the kiln for a long time. But, I am willing to do it if it's required for maximum success.