Duct Silencer: Measured Results

With an inexpensive decibel meter, a shop owner finds out how much a duct silencer has quieted down the noise from his dust collector cyclone. April 27, 2011

Question
I posted in August about noise reduction to expect from duct silencers. As a result, I bought a silencer from Air Handling Systems and installed it between my outdoor cyclone and the indoor baghouse. It performs as expected and was well worth the cost. I should have done this years ago. Here are the results using a Radio Shack sound level meter on a weighting standing next to my return air baghouse in the building:
Before: 90 dB
After: 76 dB

(Dust Collection Forum)
I'm surprised you have that much noise with the cyclone outside. My cyclone is inside and it's usually louder than the machines I'm using. I've been thinking about building a sound reducing wall around the cyclone, but I may have to look into getting one of those silencers. Thanks for sharing your results.

The cyclone is actually quieter outside than it is inside. Most of the sound stays in the duct, I guess, and ends up back in the building.

From contributor O
I have the same experience; the noise is almost all in the ductwork, especially where it exhausts back into the room. I've been thinking of getting a silencer for my little 2HP cyclone. It's nice to hear that they can make a real difference.

From contributor C
Is that the less than $50 meter Radio Shack has on their online site? Seems like a good tool to have.

Yes, it is the one that is online (Digital-Display Sound-Level Meter, Model: 33-2055).