Durability of Aliphatic Urethane

Not cheap, but holds up in a tough environment. February 21, 2011

Is there any place where solvent based Alaphatic Urethanes are tested and compared? Iím using this as a clear finish on exterior wood. I don't have the time, money, or skills to buy all the brands and wait for results. Which are your favorites and why? What company has the longest lasting exterior Alaphatic Urethane?

I have used the Aliphatic from for about six years. The product still looks the same as it did the day it was sprayed. I am speaking of the black light poles that I sprayed for my complex. These poles are either buried by snow for six months out of the year and the other six they are hammered by the UV rays up at 8000 ft.

Gemini exterior aliphatic urethane is a great product. I used the on walnut paneling on the exterior of a restaurant. It is not a hard product to use but it does take some calculating on how much you need and will use in an eight hour period.

It is a two part mixture and after eight hours whatever is left over turns into a rubbery solid that will have to be thrown away. It is expensive but none the less a great product. Just as a headís up Ė even with a spray booth this stuff will harden up on you in a matter of minutes.