Edgebander Guillotine Retraction Issues

A detailed troubleshooting report about solving problems with the guillotine device on a Holz-Her edgebander, with good info on sources for parts and support. June 22, 2012

I've got a 1990 model 1436 edgebander. Today the guillotine started acting up. It will cut the banding but won't retract. If I shut the machine down and the air pressure bleeds off, it will retract but the same thing happens next time. I think the pneumatic solenoid valve that controls it is shot. I took it apart and found some pieces of a rubber seal. I checked everything else I could think of, but the bad seal must be in that valve.

If anyone has had this issue and could confirm my suspicion, I would appreciate it. Are there any sources for parts other than Holz-her? I will shoot them an email tomorrow with a part number for a price, but know from experience that it won't be cheap.

I had the same problem twice this year. Once it was the pneumatic cylinder... The piston/seal/plug came off the rod. The other time, the end cap on the solenoid was loose... wouldn't let the solenoid work properly. In looking for the problem I took apart the valve also - don't remember seeing any seals in it though. Holz-her does a good job of keeping lots of parts in stock for immediate shipment. You just pay a lot for them. Try Lakeside Industrial Parts. They can be quite reasonable. If it's the solenoid, you should be able to read the manufacturer and google for a seller in your area (e.g. Bosch supplier). If it's the pneumatic cylinder, look for a distributer of Parker pneumatic in your area. They'll have to make it to size but it probably won't cost a lot.

Another vote for lakesideindustrial.com. Great company. Excellent tech. I had issues with my Holz-Her guillotine earlier this year. The tech talked me through it via email and phone. I ordered the parts, replaced it myself, and it works fine now. I would definitely make a phone call to them. Their number is on their website.

Mine acts up from time to time. Make sure the photo eye is clean and the reflector isn't obscured. On mine, I don't count on the reflector that is attached to a lever, but rather put the reflective tape (think I got it from Lakeside) directly over the hole in the edgbanding guide. It works better that way. If the guillotine thinks banding is still there, it doesn't retract.

A number of possible issues. I would suggest calling Lee Johnson, both for the help and the aftermarket parts you want. JTS handles both, and only works with Holz-Her banders. Probably one of the best in the business.

For those who do not know, Lee Johnson, JTS, and lakesideindustrial.com are related. One is the service company. The other is the parts company. Great team.

I had the same problem this year. The guillotine would activate, but not always cut through the banding and then wouldnít retract. Small pieces of plastic were clogging up the fast-exhaust valve that controls the guillotine. I replaced that without success. I took the cylinder apart and found that the urethane bumper had disintegrated. Holz-Her does not list that bumper as a separate part. While Iím sure itís available somewhere, I went to the auto parts store and bought a urethane grommet that was about the same size and shaved it to fit. It has worked like a champ since.

Lee has that bumper. I had to replace mine as well. He also has the special grease for the guillotine cylinder.

Thanks for all the responses. I think the problem is what contributor Y mentioned. I took the pneumatic valve apart and found a crumbly reddish material in it. I assumed that a gasket in the valve had crumbled but after reading the responses I took the guillotine cylinder apart and found much more in there and also in the fast-exhaust valve. Gonna start my search for the bumper today.

As a side note, I noticed that for the past couple of weeks the guillotine was making a funny noise when it was in use. Now I am pretty sure it was the release valve gradually getting clogged.

I did look at Lakeside, which seems like a great source. I also found a place called Automation Direct... Seems like you could completely rebuild the pneumatics on a bander through them, but you would have to know your stuff as they don't reference parts for specific machines.

Had that problem once, too. If the valve is Univer AF2501, then you can get a seal kit for it from granzow.com.