Edgebanding Dadoed Parts

A cabinetmaker who uses blind dadoed construction gets advice on modifying his edgebander to handle the dadoed material. August 29, 2006

Iím looking for thoughts and experiences on blind dado on upper cabinets. We'd like to keep the deck flush with the bottom of the sides but our problem is how to edgeband the bottom of the sides, since they actually have a blind rabbet. Our edgebander, much like other banders, has a float of only 0.5mm.

When you edgeband those parts, try to back your cutter 1/8" of an inch and it should work fine.

I have a Holz-Her 1402 and have tweaked it to accept these parts by machining a new lower copier wheel. The new one is thicker to run over the dados without catching. It works beautifully.

To contributor B: Your idea is very interesting. Do you ever have a problem with the banding thatís hanging over breaking?

I'm not quite sure what you mean - do you mean on the ends or on top and bottom? Anyway, the answer is no to both. The ends get trimmed before they get to the lower flush trim station and the new copier wheel doesn't interfere with anything. It is thicker in the direction away from the edging. The only thing I had to watch for was the dust boot, but even that could be ground a bit if necessary. I think the old wheel was about 8 mm thick and the new one is about 12 so it's not a huge difference, but just enough to bridge the blind dados without falling in.