Elliptical Jig Q&A

Before buying, a shop owner gets info on how the device actually works. July 14, 2005

Question
Can someone with experience give a quick rundown of the procedure used for the W&H elliptical jig? It is hard to get a straight answer from dealers before spending the money on the metal. I have seen the jig close and in pictures. When in place, where does the cutter contact the wood, in line with the clamp bearings? Is the head lowered after starting, or is it set to final depth before wood is inserted? Can the cutter shape outside edges or are the roller clamp bearings in the way?

From contributor Q:
I don't have a W&H ellipse jig, but I have the C.G. Schmidt and it works great. I have only done molding for arch/top windows and have never done a continuous loop. On mine, the wood black gets mounted to a plywood/solid wood template of the curve you want to make molding for. You can take off as much wood as you like per pass, and the knives don't come in contact with the bed of the machine. The bearings run on the plywood blank. I hope this helps.

You can do continuous molding. Put the blank and template in the machine, and then put a clamp on it so it can't move. Turn on the machine and start lowering it until the feed rollers make good contact, then take off the clamp and let it go. Continue lowering the head until the desired depth is achieved, then raise the head until the knives are no longer cutting, and shut off the machine.

I have used both the Schmit jig and the Bonyman jig. I prefer the Bonyman jig. The air cylinders work better than the springs, the tracking is very accurate and it feeds in very well with less binding. Be sure to fasten it down to a plywood jig so it won`t break your joints apart when it feeds into corners, due to the parallel feed rollers on the W&H.