End Grain Tear-Out on a Shaper

How can tear-out be minimized when running end grain across the cutter head? April 21, 2011

Question
We are in the process of making box newel staircase posts. They have a skirt at the bottom 5" x 5" x 8 inch high with mitered corners. We are passing that piece vertically on a 3/4" shaper with a 1/8" and 3/8" quarter round and 1/4" bead, three wing cutter and we are getting a lot of chips or tearout. This pass makes a cut cross grain with the wood grain vertical. Now I have tried with up to four pass to get to the full depth and still have a lot of tear out. They are mostly made out of maple or red oak. The red oak is more of the problem. Iím currently passing them by hand with a slow feed rate as with the feeder they seem to have even more chip missing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do or what Iím doing wrong?

I am a little confused as what detail you are using, but why not apply the detail before mitering? We ship a lot of newels with the base wrap loose and an applied cap mould to be installed after mounting the newel.

You could make the pieces a bit over size (equal to the worst chip out) or try a backer piece going through the shaper. Carbide cutters are never very sharp and just can't come to the end of a cross grain cut without sending some extra wood flying. If you have many of these to do try a backer piece, just have a few of them and send one right behind each price. Even the backer has already been cut on the shaper a backer piece will help.

Sounds to me like you're trying to run this detail on the end grain (cross grain) right? If so, there's no way it's going to work. I build lots of newel posts like this. I run the lower skirt as you call it with grain running vertically like the rest of the post. I miter the corners on the table saw. I then apply molding mitered at the corners to get the detail look you're after. Since there will be wood movement issues, I make mitered squares, glued and pinned at the miters, a bit oversize so the post can expand and contract. I do not glue, but only pin these squares (pre-assembled like picture frames) to the skirt pinned only in the center of each piece.

Sometimes I make drawers using a lock miter cutter. To hold the drawer pieces vertical, I use a tenoning jig. I don't have tearout issues. I slow down my feed rate for the last inch but that is all.

Have you tried climb cutting? Feeding the stock backwards with the cutter still running in the proper direction? You must use a powerfeed for this and be prepared for a lot of dust shooting out from the lead of the board. It does work pretty well though.

I recently tried climb cutting with a feeder and it eliminated all of my tearout issues.