Equipment to Saw 6-Foot Diameter Logs

A discussion of stock and custom bandsaw mills able to handle very large logs. October 26, 2011

Question
What equipment is available out there such as a chainsaw, swing saw, or band saw to cut five-six feet in diameter butt logs, which are up to eight feet long?

All three will do the job. A bandmill will likely need to quarter the log. I would select a swingmill. On large diameter you will likely need a way to get the mill and operator up higher. Unless you are going to slab the log, then a wide slab attachment on a swingmill is the way to go.

I run a bandsaw out here in Oregon that will slice 72" very nicely, and I'm sure I'm not the only one out here.

Hudson makes a mill that cuts up to 52" wide, but it comes with a ground track because it is over DOT width. Contributor B - what brand do you have? I am not familiar with any band sawmill that raise over 72" and have that size guide spacing.

A swing mill is a great option. Call the folks at Bailey's (you can find their number online). They are really helpful.

To contributor G: It is a Linn Lumber mill, modified from its original design to cut bigger. The head assembly is lifted, turned, and set into a custom cradle to allow for travel; all really cool, we're still practicing and getting pretty good at it, hoping to go at it full time in a year or two. We'll see.

To contributor B: Do you have any photos of your 72" mill in action?

Here is a picture of the mill. 46" black walnut crotch loaded and getting sliced at the time.

Here is how I do it and I was able to get 13 4" slices out of this pecan. It was 79" by 65" and I cut the 65" direction with my 72" bar. It took about ten minutes per cut. I cut cookies out of this because the owner of the log wanted five that way and so I continued all the way down but I could have cut flitches just as easily.